Monday, November 29, 2010

You are the best, and I love the blog!

Hi Sarah,

I am already starting to love the blog.
I was completely and supremely grumpy when I got home tonight. It didn't make sense, because we got great news about my mom and I had some good things happen at work. Nonetheless, I was the kind of grouchy that makes you cringe -- so cantankerous I couldn't even stand myself. Then I found your post. I am still irritable, but the blog took the edge off.

My mom's CT was all clear. The concerning shadows on her X-ray were scar tissue. What a giant relief. I worked so hard all weekend to keep my fears at bay. Once I knew the coast was clear, I think everything hit me all at once. I really hate being so far away from my familia. It just feels wrong. Of course, I know you aren't going to argue with that one.

As you know, my coping mechanism of choice is to knit. Tonight I am going to work on the Purpursa Winter Hat. I am already at the decreases, so it shouldn't be long now. I tried to get a photo, but just couldn't capture the luxurious deep purple. The Malabrigo Rios is so deliciously rich, I had a hard time resisting the urge to knit all day at work. At one point, I had to remind myself that it would in fact be a little strange to wear the unfinished hat while answering emails. Moments like this make me miss working from home :)

I have been knitting my way through bad days for so long, I can't even remember how I used to cope. While I was inching toward unbearable disgust with myself today, I was shocked to realize I was wishing it were karate night. There is just something wonderful about having a chance to kick and punch something without retribution.

Years ago, I had a list of ways to take care of yourself. Writing it now, I see how dorky that sounds. But I swear, it was wonderful. There were all sorts of things on the list, everything from taking a walk and calling a friend, to taking a shower or writing a letter. Most of the time, just reading the list made me feel better.

So, my friend, I am wondering what you do to get through a rough day?

Love,
Lj



No comments:

Post a Comment